Monday, September 13, 2010

Time for an Update

Sorry I haven't updated in forever, but I've been ridiculously busy. Basically, I love Spain. I had my first week of classes and they seem like they'll be good. I'm taking a conversation class, a grammar class, a basque culture class and a spanish lit class. 13 credits total, so it shouldn't be too much work, which will hopefully leave me plenty of time to continue enjoying spain :) Also, all of my professors seem really cool. I especially love the program director, Jon Franco...he is hilarious.
So I had a pretty average week full of classes and shopping and spanish television. Then on Thursday our program had a welcome party in Las Arenas, a few metro stops from my apartment. Jon Franco is the manager of a band, Midnight Road, which played at the party and they were really good. It was a lot of fun. Then Friday morning we went to the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao. It was cool, but I guess not as cool as I expected it to be. And we weren't allowed to take pictures inside the museum, which I thought was a little strange. Friday night there were fiestas in Urduliz. Every weekend there are fiestas in one part of Getxo. Last weekend they were in Plentzia, but we didn't go and heard that it was a lot of fun, so we made sure to go to Urduliz. When we got off the metro, we walked forever and there was nothing going on. We were starting to doubt that anything was happening when all of the sudden, we walked into a plaza completely full of people. The bars were blasting music and the streets were packed. When we walked a little further, there was a stage set up and bands were playing....it was so much fun. We left around 4 am and everyone else was still going strong. No wonder Spaniards need their siesta....I just can't keep up. On Saturday there was a soccer game between Athletic Bilbao and Real Madrid so a bunch of us went to a bar in Bilbao to watch it. Although we lost, it was a good game and I met a lot of people, spoke a lot of Spanish and learned a lot. For example, a lot of the expressions that we were taught at Kenowa and at Grand Valley are mexican/latin american sayings, so everyone was trying to teach us the Spanish way to talk. It was a really fun night. Then Sunday I just laid around all day and read and played sudoku. Then around 7 some people from the program met Jon Franco (the program director) in Las Arenas to watch American football and play a trivia game.  It was probably one of the best weekends I've had in.....a really long time. I love Spain and I love the people I've met. I feel like I'm learning so much about pretty much everything everyday.
Today during our break between classes Molly and I started planning what we were going to do during our long vacation at the beginning of December. We decided we wanted to go to Italy and actually found round trip flights direct to Rome for a little over 50 euros, so we're going to meet up tomorrow and hopefully book that. I'm so excited to start traveling, but at the same time I absolutely love it here and would be content to spend my entire trip in Bilbao and Getxo. We're sticking around here this weekend, but next weekend we're off to Madrid and Toledo. Then possibly Barcelona the following weekend. And then (I think) it'll be time to meet the parents in London and Paris :)
Although I can't wait to see you all again, I'm having the time of my life! I can't believe I've only been here about a week and a half and I hope that time doesn't speed up haha.
That's all for now I think, but I'll try to update again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment