Sunday, October 3, 2010

Moros y cristianos

I'm still not used to the lack of "politically correct" language here. Everyone, including my family and professors, has told me that certain gestures or words aren't considered racist here, just descriptive. For example, when talking about an asian person, it is common to pull on the corners of your eyes to get the point across. A common saying is "enganar como un chino" which means to trick someone like a chinese person. I don't think people even know the meaning of homosexual because they just say gays. Also, the n-word is acceptable and used often...not something I'm particularly comfortable with, but I guess it's just cultural differences.
So on Thursday, Carmen (my host mom) made this awesome lunch with black beans and white rice. As we were eating she told me that this dish was called "moros y cristianos" which, if its not already obvious, means moors and christians in english. Then she went on to say that the reason its called this is because the black beans refer to the moors and the white rice refers to the good christians. I laughed so hard I almost died.
The weird thing is that this isn't an issue here. There's little to no problem with discrimination and what I've described and we would consider racist language isn't considered racist at all. And i'm still not at all used to it hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment