Monday, November 15, 2010

So I really don't want to go into detail about London and Paris, we just did sooo much. So all I'm going to say is that it was soo much fun! They were two gorgeous cities and it was so nice to see los padres again!!

Well I have about a month left :( therefore, I've been trying my best to be doing things all the time, there's still so much I want to do! So this weekend was a busy one. On Friday, I went to San Sebastian, which was absolutely gorgeous! It's a small beach town, so there wasn't much to do, but we walked along the beach all day and it really was so pretty! Even though there wasn't anything to do, I would go back. Especially since I heard they had a killer aquarium that we didn't have time to visit. Then, on Saturday, I had another near death experience. Which really was more of a near death experience than the last one. Bilbao is surrounded by mountains. And these Basques are crazy. A bunch of my friends had climbed a small mountain a few weeks ago but when they told one of our professors, he said that that was nothing, and told us to go climb Pagasarri. So we did. We literally climbed it. Instead of taking the trail that winds around the mountain, eventually taking you to the top, we thought it'd be better to climb straight up the mountain and find a trail later. The first leg wasn't bad bc it didn't take us too far up. But it was definitely too steep to go back down the way we came, so we went on the hunt for a trail. And we didn't find one. The only thing we could do was keep going up, which felt wrong and I was completely against. But everyone else wanted to keep going and I wasn't going to stay alone. As we climbed, it got scarier and scarier. I literally almost cried. I would get to a point and sit down to rest and the hill would be so steep that I wasn't able to see where I had started climbing...that was not a good feeling. It was also not good when we climbed in a straight line and someone slipped ahead of you and everyone thought they were going to go tumbling down the side of a mountain to their death haha. Anyways, we eventually made it to the very top of this very large mountain, where my friend thought she saw a trail. It turned out to be a fenced off area saying "Danger, do not pass" and that wasn't very comforting haha. So we just sat on top of the hill for a while and tried to calm ourselves and enjoy the amazing view. Unfortunately, we didn't get to be very calm because a few minutes later, one of the guys found a tick on his leg. Then he found another. Then one of the other guys found some on him and so we all started to completely freak out and realized we needed to find a trail and get out of there. Luckily the other side of the mountain was less steep and we only had to go down a short ways before we hit the road. Honestly, when I saw the road, I have never been so relieved as I was in that moment. Then we all rolled up our pant legs and shirt sleeves and started checking each other for ticks. One of the girls found one on her stomach, but other than that we were all clear. So...we took some deep breaths, realized that now that we were safe we had an awesome story to tell and started to walk towards the bottom of the mountain. I still freak out a little when I think about how it was literally rock climbing at times without a harness, but I do feel pretty badass haha. And I'm still extremely sore, so at least it was an awesome workout. AND, to top it all off, when we told one of our friends that we climbed Pagasarri, he said that was a small mountain and we had to climb the Pyrenees. I swear, the basques are too strong for me. You can never make them happy....haha.
Alright, that's all I've got. This weekend off to Salamanca to stay in the vacation house of one of my Spanish friends! I'm verrrry excited!
Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment